Microsoft announced that Windows 11 will be available from October 5, 2021. The upgrade will be free and will begin to be deployed on all PCs that have Windows 10 and meet the necessary requirements of the new operating system. Devices preloaded with Windows 11 will also be available for purchase.
The PC continues to play a key role in most people’s lives, intensified by the change in habits brought about by the pandemic, with millions of people adopting remote work and study schemes. For that reason, Windows 11 offers a renewed experience and is designed so that anyone can use it, with focus on the productivity and creativity of the users.
The 11 most outstanding features of this version are:
- New, modern, fresh and clean design and sounds, to provide a sense of tranquility and well-being.
- With a redesigned Start Menu, the user and their content will be at the center of the experience. The «Home» screen will be powered by the cloud and Microsoft 365 to display recent files, regardless of the device used to view them.
- Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops will offer an even more powerful way to multitask and optimize screen space.
- Microsoft Teams chat will be integrated into the taskbar, connecting users faster.
- Widgets, a more personalized, AI-powered information source that accelerate access to the most relevant information, with the performance, speed and productivity features of Microsoft Edge, so users can do more on the Internet.
- Windows 11 is the best version of Windows for gaming, taking advantage of the potential of the system’s hardware with technologies such as DirectX12 Ultimate, DirectStorage and Auto HDR. In this sense, Windows 11 will incorporate the Xbox Game Pass application to the desktop, through which you get access to more than 100 high-quality video games for PC, with a low-cost monthly subscription. Windows 11 includes a new Microsoft Store with a completely new design that simplifies the search and use of applications, video games, programs and movies. In addition, Android apps will be added to Windows 11 and the Microsoft Store through collaboration with Amazon and Intel.
- Windows 11 is the most inclusive version of Windows thanks to its new accessibility improvements.
- Windows 11 opens up new opportunities for developers and creators. The new Store will enable more developers and independent software vendors to bring their apps to the Microsoft Store. For this reason, Microsoft is working to improve native and Web app development with new tools and updates that feature improved app appearance, design and user experience.
- Windows 11 will be optimized for speed and efficiency, as well as an enhanced experience with touch input, digital pen and voice assistant.
- Windows 11 is the operating system for hybrid work, as it provides renewed experiences that adapt to the new context, integrating security into the design and being easier to deploy and manage by systems departments. Companies can also test Windows 11 in its preview version through Azure Virtual Desktop, or through Windows 365, the operating system in the cloud that is already available.
The free upgrade to Windows 11 will be distributed in a gradual and measured manner
The free upgrade to Windows 11 will start from October 5 in a gradual and measured manner with a quality-based approach. After the built-in learning with Windows 10, Microsoft wants to make sure to provide the best possible experience. For this reason, the upgrade will first be available for new qualifying devices. Then, the upgrade will be gradually rolled out to qualifying devices based on hardware conditions, reliability metrics, device age and other factors that affect the upgrade experience.
The free upgrade is expected to be offered to all eligible devices in the second half of 2022. For those users who have a Windows 10 PC that is eligible for the upgrade, Windows Update will inform them when it is available. In this sense, users will be able to check if Windows 11 is available for their device by going to: Settings > Windows Update and select Check for updates. Also, the PC Health Check application will soon be relaunched, which will allow to verify if the PC meets the requirements to be upgraded. In the meantime, more information can be found in Windows 11 minimum system requirements.